Saturday, February 18, 2017

Gear and accessory questions on the internet


I try to monitor as many Facebook gun groups as I can (limited somewhat by my attention span and life events) in order to share any knowledge I have that might be useful to others, and also to increase my own knowledge.  Obviously, these groups are a favorite place for people to ask advice on buying gear and accessories.  Frequently, you'll see questions pop up that start with "So what is the best (insert part here - gas block, rail, sight)?"  Many times, no further information emerges from the poster until people start to comment.  Those comments take many forms, from actual helpful clarification questions to trolling.

In order to get the most out of your posting, it's essential to provide context.  In the gear and accessory world, intended usage drives almost everything else.  So the next time you ask a question, instead of asking "What's the best handguard?", ask "What's the best MLOK handguard, big enough to fit a suppressor underneath, in the $150-$200 price range?"  My answer to the first question will be "For what?"  My answer to the second question might be "Seekins Precision MCSR V2."  Another example: instead of "What's the best gas block?", try "What's the best non-adjustable gas block for a .625 inch diameter barrel?  Need it to fit under a slimline rail system with a diameter of 1.5 inches."

The better the information you can provide me, the better the information I can provide you.

No comments:

Post a Comment